Monday 30 June 2014

DIY: Galaxy Shoes

At our lately post, we're so in love with galaxy shoes. So we found this tutorial from instructables.com, here's a relatively cheap and awesome DIY project to turn your shoes into galaxy shoes!

To begin, here are the materials you will need:

  1. Cheap Black Canvas Shoes
  2. Paint of different and fun colors, the more vibrant the better
  3. Paintbrushes, sponges, anything to paint with
  4. Water in a cup
  5. something to cover up your surroundings and a towel for cleaning
  6. Masking tape or painters tape
Optional: Mod Podge (Helps to seal in paint but is NOT waterproof)
Waterproof Sealant Spray -so water won't wash away your hard work
Paint Palette -You can use a paper plate or something else but this is very helpful
Glitter Paint- This added a nice touch and makes the stars sparkle!


STEP 1 : 
Wrap the white parts of your shoe with either masking or painter's tape. It will come out much cleaner in the end!

STEP 2 :
Here I painted a bunch of the colors I had. I used a wide and smooth paintbrush and smoothed the edges out like shown. Experiment with where to put what colors and the shapes. I mimicked the same style on both shoes but mirror images, but also purposely changed them up a bit for variety.

STEP 3 :
Now it's time for the best part, stars! I used a hard bristled paintbrush like shown but you can also use a toothbrush or anything like that. I put white paint on the brush and used my finger to flick stars onto the shoe repeatedly, covering all parts. Try to mimick a galaxy by making clusters of stars and different sizes. I also did another round of stars after the white dried, with the white glitter glue. It's a little more transparent so I made sure to do the plain white first for vibrancy. It adds a nice sparkle though in person. Just have fun with this step!

STEP 4 :
Lastly, you'll want to add some larger stars like the ones I made. I started with a glob of white paint in the center and dragging it out with a small thin brush. Try adding some around the laces!


No comments: